18. Calzadilla to Mansilla de las Mulas

Camino Frances - Day 20 - September 15th. 2013: Calzadilla to Mansilla (18th day walking)
Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes









Click here for Google Map and my starting point today
THE BIG DAY : )  
41 YEARS MARRIED TODAY
41 JB 15.9.13 
Normally, on this day each year I would be celebrating our wedding anniversary with Brenda. Today, after 41 years of marriage I am on barren stretch of road in Northern Spain and Brenda is in San Francisco. 

I left the Albergue at 6:35am and kept wallking until I crossed the Arroya Madriz de la Cava a short distance before Reliegos. Along the way I stopped and made a mark in the clay on the trail to commerate this special day. I scratched out a 41, then below that a heart shape with JB (Jack and Brenda) inside it and at the bottom the date, 15.9.13.  I took a photo with my camera and one with my phone I the hope that I would be able to get access to wifi somewhere before the end of the day and send it to Brenda. I had also arranged, through my sister in law in San Francisco, to have a dozen, long stem red roses, three white long stem white roses and some gypsophila, to be there for Brenda when she gets up today. (San Francisco is seven hours behind Spain at this time of year).  


The signs for Reliegos once you cross the Arroya were a bit confusing. I decided to take a break here.
I made myself a great cheese roll, took out some water and sat on a rock to consult the guide book. While sitting there others came along and we tried to determine which way to go. I indicated the direction I was going to take. One guy agreed and he set off. A few women travelling together decided to walk alongside the Arroyya. I believe this was the wrong route and hope they did not  stray too far before realising their mistake. I finished up, set off and thankfully found the correct pathway to Reliegos. 
I reached Mansilla de las Mulas around 11:30am. The first couple of Albergues I approached informed me they were full. I eventually located the Albergue Muni and there was a short queue outside. It did not open until 12:30pm. Many people had difficulty locating this Albergue. 

James, Josh, Julie, Clara, Karin and Jack
I had given much thought to going all the way to León today, another 18Klms, but once I reached Mansilla I knew that I would not be able to go that far. I was glad I had stopped and after a shower and change of clothes I felt really well. I am however missing Brenda because I feel we should be sharing this special day together. 41 years married and another couple going out together before that, not to mention all the years, as young teenagers, that we knew each other. On the other hand we were both doing something we loved and I knew we would be reunited on October 11th.

After roaming around the town to take a few photos I came across a few friends sitting around a table having a drink. Mary from Canada was there with Gene from Los Angeles, Hanna from the Netherlans and the really good looking lady who was in the same room as me a couple of nights back. I still can't remember her name. I joined them for a drink. Karin came by and she joined us. Gradually all left except Karin and myself. We spoke about why we were doing the Camino and many other issues. This is Karin's fourth time doing the Camino. We parted but not before agreeing to meet for dinner later. I went i search of WiFi as there was no availability in the Albergue. I found a bar where the local hang out playing cards and other games. I sat at a table next to a power socket, plugged in the charger and asked for the WiFi code. I hoped they would not mind me using their power supply. The signal was very poor but at least I had some access. I sent an email to Brenda attaching the photo I took along the trail and then waited. I ordered another drink and waited, still sending. I ordered another drink, still waiting. I getting tipsy and still  it said, sending. Finally I received the email had been sent, I finished up my drink and left. 

Clara, X, Josh, Julie, Chris, Jack and Karin
I met another group of friend just outside the Albergue. I  told them about my ordeal trying to get a message to Brenda. They said they were going to dinner shortly and asked if I would like to join them. I popped into the Albergue to invite Karin along. We set off  and along the way posed for a photo at the base of statue dedicated to the pilgrims. We mimicked one of the stone figures.

We had a great meal including a toast to our 41st wedding anniversary and another for the absent but not forgotten, Brenda : ) Myself and Karin then had t make a dash back to our Albergue before we found ourselves locked out for the night. I was not able to make contact with Brenda today and that made me sad for a short while but now I had to focus on trying to get some sleep in preparation for tomorrow. I was also looking forward to checking into a hotel in León for another one day break from walking.
______________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Calzadilla de los Hermanillos:
Images of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos on the internet
Mansilla de las Mulas:
Images of Mansilla de las Mulas on the internet
Wikipedia on Mansilla de las Mulas
_____________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment