27. Portomarín to Palas de Rei

Camino Frances - Day 30 - September 25th. 2013: Triacastela to Portomarín (27th. day walking) 
Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes











Click here for Google Map and my starting point today
The curse of text on mobiles:
I had a reasonably good night's sleep and set off for Paal de Rei at about 7:45am. just before heading off I fired off a text to Brenda with a brief message ' Love ye' I often send similar short notes to Brenda with that sentiment of something along those lines. Sometimes I get into a bit more detail.... So, what's the big deal about the text? well I sent it to Ger instead of Brenda. I hasten to add that it was sent in error to Ger, I mean I do like Ger but I don't know him well enough yet to start sending texts of that nature. Ger responded, that's all I'll say on the episode. The curse of mobile text had struck again. No matter how many times I tell myself to check who I'm sending the note to I have, from time to time, send a message to the wrong person. I know I'm not alone on this one and I know too that many people have landed themselves into bigger trouble that I did on this occasion.
















Palas de Rei:
Despite only walking 24Klms today I found myself getting increasingly fatigued as I went along to the point that I was exhausted by the time I reached Palas de Rei. I had considered staying about one Klm before the town in a very attractive development of Chalet style accommodation but there was little else in the area so I ploughed ahead to reach the town. I then became concerned because every albergue, hostel, pension and hotel I called to had been fully booked in advance. I had read that it is advisable to book in advance from Sarria to Santiago as the number of pilgrims increase significantly for this final section of the Camino. I kept seeing the same pilgrims walking around the streets, like myself, in search of a bed for the night. Eventually I got a room in Pension Arenas Palas, their last room. 

Decision time for Bob, Camino < while Pizza > 
Bobs dilemma:
This photo on the left may not appear to you as anything extraordinary in fact there is nothing of note about it, that is unless you love pizzas and you are passing through on your way to Santago. Bob loves pizzas and he must have been torn when he saw the sign pointing to the right for Pizza while the yellow Camino arrow was indicating his path was to the left. I don't know what he decided to do but if he reads this I would love to know.  

While relaxing on my bed I received a text from Ger. They had arrived at the development outside the town that I had given some consideration to before moving on. I told him where I was but also advised him of the shortage of beds. They decided to make their way to the town. The guys called to where I was staying and we agreed  to meet up later. Returning to my bed I updated my diary. I was still feeling a bit out of sorts but I was not concerned, I just thought I may have overdone it the day before yesterday. 

Wiped out by a bug:
I decided to go for a short walk before meeting Ger and Ed but I was only down the street when I came across them. (Ronan had already parted company with his dad to make his prebooked flight.)  We had a couple of pints followed by a nice meal. We discussed how to tackle the last 68Klms to Santiago and finally agreed to walk 40Klms tomorrow and the rest of the way the following day reaching Santiago on Friday. We would make an early start in the morning. 

On the way back to my pension I felt very ill and so it began. I raced back to my room because I felt I was about to be sick. Back in the room it all happened. I sent a text to Ger asking if they were alright, thinking that it may have been the food but  they were OK and had eaten exactly the same dish as me. I said they should go ahead without me in the morning because I was unsure if this was just down to something I ate or maybe a 24 hour bug. What I did know was that I would not be getting any sleep tonight. 
____________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Portomarín:
Images of Portomarín on the internet
Wikipedia on Portomarín
Palas de Rei:
Images of Palas de Rei on the internet
Wikipedia on Palas de Rei
________________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment