29. Melide to O Pedrouzo (Arca)

Camino Frances - Day 32 - September 27th. 2013: Melide to O Pedrouzo (Arca) (29th. day walking) 

Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes



Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes
















Click here for Google Map and my starting point today:
I slept reasonably well and when I did wake I found myself saturated in perspiration but able to go back to sleep without too much delay. 

I popped a few more tablets to address the symptoms and prayed they would work their magic today. 

I left at about 7:50am greeted by a light fall of rain. I held off on the poncho for about 20 minutes at which time the rain was beginning to bucket down. I had no choice but to cover up.  The rain kept coming and getting heavier to the point that it was flowing like small streams along the pathways. 


I stopped at a hostel in Arzúa called El Retiro with a modern restaurant out front. I had not eaten anything yesterday so I ordered bacon, eggs, bread and green tea.  It food tasted great and it stayed down so I knew I was on the mend.

A lovely moment:
I took to the road again keeping a steady pace but not moving at my usual speed. A couple I had seen many times over the past few weeks came alongside me and said something in Spanish. Up to this point we just offered a smile and a 'Buen Camino' to each other. Now they were speaking to me in Spanish. I had observed them on many occasions he was older than me. a very slight man. I'm not sure what age his partner was. I had assumed they were a couple. She looked much younger from a distance because she had a good figure and wild curly hair. Anyway they kept trying to get their message across and piece by piece I figured out what  they were saying. They were asking if I was OK. They had seen me struggling yesterday and still not at full stretch today but clearly improving. I was very moved by their concern for my well being and for taking the time out to ask if I was OK and then wishing me 'Buen Camino' before taking off again. 

Pension Arca in Arca:
I arrived at the Pension Arca and I was greeted by Manuel who showed me around the place, the facilities and then my room. A really nice guy with excellent English. I filled a basket with clothes for washing and left it down to him. He would wash and dry everything for a small fee. I asked him if he could recommend somewhere to eat and he gave me a few options. 

After a shower I fired off a few emails because the WiFi actually worked here. Then after updating my notes I decided to head out for an early dinner. It was still lashing rain so I put on my poncho again. I went to one of the restaurants recommended by Manuel. Soup, Fish and then ice cream. Portions were modest and the fish was not great but I was not in form for a large meal because my gut was still reminding me it was not back to normal service yet. The meal also included a bottle of red wine. I only wanted to taste it and that's all I did, it was terrible. 

Back in the Pension I collected my clean clothes and got my gear ready for tomorrow. All going well tomorrow I would make my way into Santiago and relax for a few days before going home. I could also plan my trip to Fisterra. My stomach was still acting up and the headache that started a couple of days ago was still nagging away. After popping a few more pills and several visits to the bathroom I settled in for the night.
____________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Melida:
Images of Melida on the internet
Wikipedia on Melida
Arzúa:
Images of Arzúa on the internet
Wikipedia on Arzúa
O Pedrouzo (Arca):
Images of O Pedrouzo (Arca) on the internet
Wikipedia on O Pedrouzo (Arca)
 ________________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment