The End of the Story


 MORE TEXT TO FOLLOW:

How to end the story of my Camino experience is a real challenge. I ask myself many questions and some I have no answers for but perhaps others are best placed to respond based on their observations since I arrived home.

Did I learn anything new or reinforce existing views?
I did learn about the real joy of walking alone. Away from the modern life most of us enjoy today. I think there is much to be said for the simple life. We have become too materialistic while neglecting the millions who have nothing. We could, if we really wanted to, solve poverty and hunger but we choose to ignore the suffering of others. Well, as an atheist, I should, perhaps be more sympathetic to the suffering of others. I say this because based on my 'belief system' they will not have any reward in a 'next life', all they will ever know is the misery of this one. That should be enough to make me do more. On the other hand how are my religious friend going to account for their inaction or more importantly for is their God going to make them accountable? For believers of all creeds, how do they think their God will judge them for ignoring their fellow man. The little we all do from time to time to ease our conscience is just that but surely it is not enough for your God or for my peace of mind. That said I met so many genuinely good people on the Camino and this reinforced my 'faith' in mankind. Maybe one day the good people of the world will unite, bypassing the politics, the excuses, the financial interests of global players and in a concerted effort alleviate the suffering of other, no matter where they are. I live in hope : ) 

Has it changed me in a profound way or even slightly?
I'm very sure it did not change me in a profound way but I am equally certain it did have an impact on me. I am not aware of any significant changes and as I said above, maybe others are best placed to make that judgement. One thing I have noticed is that I can get choked up whenever watching something on TV . Something that in the past would not have had any effect on me. I hope it passes because I am in danger of embarrassing myself by getting teary while watching some soppy, chick flick. 

Would I do it again?
At the outset this journey was another item on my Bucket List. I never gave any consideration to repeating the journey because I have too many other challenges to do and probably not enough time to complete them all. I met so many people who had completed the journey on numerous occasions I could not appreciate why they would do that. I remember a conversation with Julie and her daughter Lilly when she asked me if I would walk the Camino again. I was so certain when I said no, never, been there, done that, time to move on. Julie then asked me what would I do if one of my children asked me to join them on their journey. Now bear in mind that Julie was on her fourth journey, this time with her daughter Lilly. I still said I would not do it, the aches and pains still foremost in my mind. I said I may join them in Sarria for the last part of their journey. Now, sitting at home with all the negative aspects consumed by the bountiful positive attributes of such a journey I think I would gladly share such a journey with any of my children and feel privileged to have that opportunity. 

Did I enjoy it?
Yes, yes and yes. I enjoyed the journey, the experiences and the wonderful people I met. There were, however,  many times I questioned my sanity. I can't say I was enjoying myself when my blistered feet made me scream inside my head. The pain from the blisters ran through my feet and up into my legs. Every muscle and bone in my body ached in the early days while I adjusted to the daily routine of walking long distances and carrying all my possessions on my back. Many evenings I spent the first twenty minutes in the albergue lying on the bed with my feet straight up against the wall to ease the pain. Now, the memory of the pain is fading and all the  good experiences are what remain uppermost in my mind. Even now, recalling the aches and pains, the only negative aspect of my experience, I am certain I would walk the Camino again. Next time I would probably choose a different route just for a change. The Camino walk was one of the greatest experiences of my life so why would I not go back? ? ?  

Did I make the most of this opportunity?
No, Looking back now I think I may have let the race take over the journey to some degree. While I did get so much from the experience I now think that I should have stayed with my original objective to take my time. How I could have achieved this I'm still not sure about. I was torn between my desire to spend time alone, which was great for a few weeks, and my need to interact with family again. If I was to spend much longer away from home I may have spoiled the benefits of the journey. Perhaps there is an optimum time for some of us. I think I may have got it just right purely by accident, or is that the Camino taking over again. No, I don't subscribe to that one. I think we all know what is the right thing to do, we just have to listen to that quiet voice inside. The one that's always there, not in a schizophrenic sense, but the one that knows best all the time if we would only listen to it.  

Was it worth the effort?
Oh yes, It was worthwhile taking time out to be alone with my own thoughts. It was also wonderful to meet so many people from all walks of life and share this experience. As I look over the list of people  I spent time with over the course of a month I realise there are well over sixty names. Each name brings back great memories for me as I peruse my notes and browse my photos. I regret not having photos of everyone on my list but I do have most of them.

Did I achieve my objectives?
My objectives and motivation were never really tied down so it is difficult to measure a level of achievement in that regard. I did however experience many unexpected emotions. I also took Tom with me all the way and that alone makes the journey worthwhile.

Did I find God?
No, I didn't find God but I wasn't looking for him or her in the first place. I did my searching over many years before settling for a greater level of satisfaction in the goodness on mankind. I did witness the great belief of others something that has always warmed my heart. I mean those who have a very close relationship with their God in a quiet, private, way. They do not preach to us sinners. They do not stand on walls and proclaim their faith but live their lives in a very christian way. In that sense I can relate to them but just without the devotion to a God. I think I came across only one couple who, to borrow a phrase, talked the talk but failed to walk the walk. Tolerance of everyone else and their belief system, I would have thought, is central to any good christian behaviour. But, who am I to judge. 

Would I recommend it to a friend?
Yes, I would recommend the Camino to a friend but I would warn them about the aches and pains. The pain and suffering is negligible when compared with the vast array of experiences there for the pilgrim with an open mind. You must address any injuries or they will only get worse. You will need to watch your step particularly on the steep descents

The list goes on and on...........

No comments:

Post a Comment