33. Going home

Camino Frances - Day 36 - October 1st 2013: Farewell to Santiago 







I woke at 5:30am with a cramp in my leg. I stepped out onto the floor to try and stop the pain. It passed so I climber back into bed a slept until 8:30am. A good sleep my any standards.

I checked out at 10am and made my way into the centre of the city to get some breakfast. I met Jim and Sheila who I had not seen for many days. We went to 'Bewleys' (not real name but it reminded us of Bewleys) for breakfast and had bacon and eggs. I was delighted to catch up with them and have the opportunity to say goodbye. There were many other friends I did not have the opportunity to say have those final words with thinking I would see them again. Well it's a small world and who knows what the future holds : ) There were a good few friends I said goodbye to several times, each time thinking it would be the last.

Next I came across Josh and Julie. We exchanged stories and and email addresses before parting. They would set off on foot for Fisterra in the morning. 


At the Airport
I set off to take some more photos and came across Jo and Kathy as I left an open market area. Kathy would be flying home on Thursday. Jo was going to start her hike to Fisterra in the morning and had her flight to Canada booked for the following Tuesday. This duo, who used to be a trio, before Mary had to go home, were always great company and I look forward to meeting them whenever we get the Irish Camino in place. Over to you Ed and Ger : )

I had arranged to meet Ger, at his hotel, at 12:30pm. I arrived ahead of schedule so I went into a small cafe just around the corner from where we had agreed to meet. A very good humoured guy gave me the coffee and refused to accept any payment. A lovely gesture and a great way to end the journey. I have no idea why I did not want payment.

Ger and I walked to Ann and Ciaran's hotel. We would share a taxi to the airport. Ann and Ciaran were going to meet the rest of their group coming in from Ireland. They were going to set off for Sarria to start their own unique journey to Santiago over the following week.

Our flight was delayed but this gave us a chance to have a chat with other friends who would share the same flight back to Dublin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment