28. Palas de Rei to Melide

Camino Frances - Day 31 - September 26th. 2013: Palas de Rei to Melide (28th. day walking) 
Contour Map: Copyright John Brierley click here to see notes










Click here for Google Map and my starting poino a toilet at short noticet today






















Last night:

Last night felt like it was never going to end. When under the covers I was perspiring like I had just stepped out of a bath. I spent most of my time running between the bed and the bathroom so sleep just never came. I considered staying here another day to allow whatever it was attaching my body time to run it's course. In the end I could not resist the call of the road so I prepared to leave. I was nervous about going out as I knew I would not have easy access to a toilet at short notice should the constant rumblings in my gut decide to expel whatever liquid was left in my stomach. I had consumed a lot of water during the night to make sure I did not become dehydrated.  

Back on the road:
As soon as I felt I had purged the contents of my stomach I left the pension. I knew Ed and Ger would be miles ahead of me now and moving at speed. I was moving at a snail's pace having difficulty putting one foot in front of the other. I was completely drained of energy but I did not want to stop. I stopped at every toilet facility along the way to minimise the risk of being embarrassed between towns. 

I took a break at Casa de Somoza in O'Coto but could not face any food so I ordered some green tea. I was falling asleep at the table and actually put my head down for a few minutes. Nobody bothered me so that was nice. 

Reached Melida and body shut down:
Back on the road I continued to walk so slow that it must have looked like I was almost standing still. I made it to Melida and I was going to try and keep going but my body just stopped moving. I had to sit down. I gave in and looked for the nearest place I could get a room. At 1pm I got a room in Xaneiro II and just lay on the bed and thankfully drifted off to sleep. Rising at about 7I then showered and went out to find a Pharmacy. The lady in the Pharmacy had very little English and my Spanish was limited to ordering food and drink so it was of little use in this situation. Anyway she gave me a couple of different medicines to help with the symptoms. On the way back I dropped into a restaurant and ordered soup. I could only eat half of it before feeling unwell again. I purchased four litres of water to hydrate myself. I went  back to my room, took the medicines and climbed into bed. After updating my notes I mapped out my next couple of days in the hope that I would feel better in the morning. I called a Pension in Arca (an ambitious 30-35Klms away in my present condition) and booked a room there for tomorrow night. I then sent a text to my daughter Ciara and asked her to book me a hotel in Santiago for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Ciara had already secured me a flight out of Santiago, bound for Dublin, on Tuesday 1st October. After the last couple of days I was looking forward to getting home.  

____________________________________________________________
Other Links, relating to this section of the Camino, you may wish to follow 

Palas de Rei:
Images of Palas de Rei on the internet
Wikipedia on Palas de Rei
Melida:
Images of Melida on the internet
Wikipedia on Melida
___________________________
Topic:

No comments:

Post a Comment